What hair loss treatment is best for you? Compare hair restoration techniques
It’s sometimes hard to know which hair restoration treatment is best for you. The choice is not always easy if you are not an expert in hair transplant surgery. With a number of factors to consider we have compiled this easy reference table to compare the techniques or FUE and FUT hair surgery procedures, helping you in your selection of the best technique for your hair transplant.
|Maximum number of follicles* for each session||1000 – 1200||3000 – 3500|
|Maximum number of hairs for each session||2000 – 4000||6000 – 8000|
|Need to shave the head||Yes||No|
|Gap before new session of hair transplant||3 months||9 months|
|Suture to remove||None||10 days|
|Donor hair||Scalp, sideburns, beard, chest, abdomen||Scalp|
|Antibiotic||1 week course||1 week course|
|Back to work**||2–3 days||2–3 days|
|Back to gym||1 week||2 weeks|
|Average cost for session||5500||5000|
* Each follicle can have 1 to 4 hairs. In 60% of cases follicles contain 2 hairs.
** Patients exposed to dust, rain, or high risk of head traumas might need 1 week before going back to work
What other differences are there between these hair surgery techniques?
- fut, also known as the ‘strip method’ is where the surgeon will remove a strip of skin from the back of your head containing a number of hair follicles and graft them to the affected area. Read more
- fue is a more time consuming procedure because individual follicles are extracted from the donor area one-by-one and then transplanted to the affected area. Read more
Are you worried about seeking surgical treatments for hair loss?
Feelings of anxiety or apprehension are common in those seeking hair loss surgery. If you’re feeling hesitant or unsure about which clinic to choose the best thing to do is some research. At the London Hair Loss Clinic, we would be happy to answer any questions and reassure you that our procedures are both safe and highly effective.
- Who is your surgeon? – Seek information about your prospective surgeon; so much of the success of your treatment is in their hands. In the UK they should be registered on the Specialist Register of the General Medical Council (GMC) as a Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist.
- Shop around – Compare the experience of surgeons with information gathered on their respective websites. Will you be treated like just another patient, or with special care and attention? Do you feel comfortable with your chosen clinic and surgeon?
- Meet the surgeon – The best way to make a judgement is to have a conversation with your surgeon. With the London Hair Loss Clinic Dr Cotrufo will personally conduct a one-on-one consultation with you. You can talk through the procedure and any concerns you may have, knowing you’re in the hands of an expert.