Hair loss surgery: what is a scalp reduction?
Scalp reduction is a surgical treatment to remove parts of the scalp that are affected by alopecia, the purpose being to reduce the overall area of bald skin. The healthier parts of the scalp are then stretched and re-positioned, making the balding area smaller and more manageable. The treatment can be done in isolation but is often used in conjunction with a hair transplant procedure.
A small scalp reduction can be performed under local, and sometimes with a mild sedative to help you relax, a strip of skin ranging from two to five centimetres can be removed in one session, with the remaining skin stitched together.
Larger scalp reductions, such in cases of severe burns or traumas are instead performed in general anesthesia. In these cases the hair transplant is performed in a second stage. Dr Cotrufo is also a pioneer in using injection of fat in the scar tissue to prepare the scalp for hair transplant.
If you have suffered a burn, trauma or cancer treatment you are in very good hands. Dr Cotrufo is a specialist in head and neck reconstruction and will advise you on the best way to restore your hair in the affected areas.
Why is a scalp reduction necessary?
For a normal hair transplant procedure, such as a Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) or Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE), a scalp reduction is not required. A scalp reduction treatment is needed in the following cases:
a) Cicatricial alopecia: immune diseases, previous traumas, burns or surgery.
b) When there is a deficiency of donor hairs to harvest.
In these cases, in order to achieve the same success rate and high density of hair, a reduction of the bald area of scalp may be required.
Get a comprehensive and professional medical assessment
Each scalp and pattern of hair loss is different and so to ensure the best results a scalp assessment is vital. When a scalp reduction is combined with a follow up hair transplant procedure there will be a number of sessions required and your recovery time may be longer. That’s why it is important that your unique needs are assessed professionally:
- Get an entire scalp assessment from an expert aesthetic surgeon, specialising in advanced microsurgery and hair restoration treatments.
- Receive a personalised treatment plan designed to give you the best possible results. Each stage will be planned and documented for your peace of mind.
Your head is in expert hands
Seeking cosmetic surgery, such as scalp reduction and hair transplants, can be daunting. Is it right for you? Will you be in safe hands? Will you be glad you made the decision to opt for surgery?
We know you’ll have these questions and many more. At the London Hair Loss Clinic, we are happy to provide you with all the answers you need – nothing is left to chance and you can choose surgery with confidence:
- Leading facial aesthetic surgeon, Dr Stefano Cotrufo, will complete you treatment.
- Dr Cotrufo is a specialist in advanced microsurgery, with over 10 years direct experience in the field.
- He is an experienced plastic surgeon named on the Specialist Register of the General Medical Council. You can review his profile on their website.
- Your treatment will be completed using the latest techniques and state-of-the-art technology.